Study in USA Without IELTS & GRE – Great News
America is a dream destination for international students to get higher education. Studying in the USA has become the first and foremost preference of the international students willing to study abroad.
As it provides high-quality education, there are some admission criteria and requirements that a student must meet in order to win the scholarship.
Such requirements include GRE and IELTS test that helps decision-makers evaluate English level for students and measure their ability to read, write, communicate and listen. The reason is the difficulty in communication that an international student might experience when studying in an American institute.
These tests have been the initial steps required to be taken if anyone dreams of fulfilling their professional desire in the United States. However, many aspirants want to avoid this English proficiency test.
Similarly, GRE has been a criterion for applicants to meet. But, it’s not impossible for applicants to be a part of American institutes without IELTS and GRE anymore.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
GRE stands for Graduate Record Examinations and is set as scholarship criteria for Universities in Canada and United States. The GRE is a standardized test that has been an essential requirement to get admission in graduate schools in the United States and Canada. GRE is owned and administered by the Educational Testing Service. The graduate schools in the USA and other countries use the GRE test.
Universities offering study without GRE
The universities that are offering degree programs to international students without requiring GRE are listed below:
- The University of Florida
- Boston University
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- George Mason University
- Washington State University
- Park University
- University of Cincinnati
- The University of Oklahoma
- Northeastern University, Boston
- San Jose State University
- Florida International University
- Oklahoma State University Kansas State University
- University of Idaho
- New Mexico State University
- California State University, Sacramento University
- Pace University, New York City
- University of Dayton
- Villanova University
- Wichita state University
- Sonoma State University
- Stevens Institute of Technology
- DeVry University
- Fairleigh Dickinson University
- University of the pacific
- University of Idaho
- New Mexico State University
- Point Park University
- Ecpi University
- City University of Seattle
- Concordia University Texas
- Rivier University
- Fisher College
- Montclair University
- IGlobal University
- Peace University
- Johnson & Wales University
- University of New Haven
- West Texas A&M University
- University of New Haven
- Southeast Missouri State University
- National University
- New England College
- Harrisburg University of Science and Technology
Universities that waived IELTS
Universities recommended the News Duolingo English test has been growing quickly over the last few years. Pandemic has rapidly prevailed, and the test has become more popular as students and schools needed an accurate online testing solution.
Many universities across the United States decided to waive the FRE and GMAT too for their upcoming admissions and scholarships for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021. IELTS has become a hindrance and absolutely difficult to crack for international students and non-native English speakers. Attempting the test is not an option as it gets quite costly to give it again and again in an effort to get the scholarship or admission in the USA.
Universities in the USA that are providing international students with an opportunity to study without having qualified in IELTS are listed below:
- University of Colorado
- Drexel University
- University of Arkansas
- University of Dayton
- California State University
- University of New Orleans
- University of Delaware
- Iowa University
Basic Requirements to consider for studying in USA without IELTS
If you are planning to get admission to a university in the USA that offers degree programs without IELTS to international students, consider the following basic requirements to keep in mind:
- When applying for the post-graduation courses, you might need to have a letter from your previous University, and it should state that you pursued the previous course in English.
- If you are applying for undergraduate courses, you should have English as one of your core subjects in high school education.
- If you graduated from a country where English was the official language, you might need to pass IELTS.
- If you don’t manage to provide IELTS scores, University might ask you to undertake their own preparatory program for English language known as the Intensive English Language Program that allows you to get essential knowledge required to study in the selected institute.
Requirements to fulfil for USA universities allowing admission without IELTS
Let’s take a look at the requirements you need to fulfil for a program at some of the mentioned universities in the USA without IELTS:
University of New Orleans
If you decide to study at the University of New Orleans, you can apply for graduate programs and admissions by completing the UNO Intensive English Language Programs with 63+ in LGVR and 70+ in Writing.
The University doesn’t require any particular language proficiency tests to study, but the admission committee will assess your proficiency and communications skills to make the final decision about your admission to the institute. The University is situated in Houston, Texas and is a reputed research institute offering a plethora of undergraduate and postgraduate in different fields of study.
University of Dayton
The University of Dayton private Roman Catholic university and the 2nd largest University in Ohio. You will be required to take the Intensive English Language Program in order to get admitted to this University.
You can get admitted to Drexel University by choosing between two conditional requirements, either, University Preparation Summer Program or the Bridge Program designed for foreign students.
California State University, Los Angeles
There are no requisites to submit IELTS scores for degree programs at the California State University if you are able to provide proof that you have completed your secondary education or the bachelor’s degree with English as a medium of instruction.
University of North Alabama
The University of North Alabama is offering English as the second language or ESL program for those who want to study in the USA without IELTS as these languages are just for students from non-English speaking countries.
You can complete the admission process without passing IELTS to get admitted for a degree program at Northwood University in the USA. The only requirement will be proof that English has been your medium of instruction during your secondary education r bachelor’s degree.
National Louis University
You can get admission to the National Louis University if you have completed your senior secondary education or the bachelor’s degree with English as the medium of instruction for which you received a certificate from your previous school or University.
University of Colorado Boulder
To study at the University of Colorado without completing IELTS, a candidate must complete two years of full-time academic study at a high school in the USA or any other English-speaking country within two years of the time he/she starts their academic course at the CU Boulder. Also, students can get conditional admission given that the applicant meets all the academic requirements for admission.
University of Arkansas
The University of Arkansas assesses the application of a student without IELTS on the case basis so that English skills are evaluated, and conditional admission is granted in case a student takes up 1-6 credit hours of English as well as cultural studies courses in addition to their study program.
State University of New York
The State University of New York offers Intensive Language Programs as well as English as a Second Language Program to exempt international students from meeting the English language proficiency requirement like IELTS.
University of Delaware
International students are eligible to apply for conditional admission in the USA without IELTS at the University of Delaware. You must select the Academic Transition at their English Language Institute.
Steps to Follow
Step 1: Application process to study in the USA without IELTS
- Research and shortlist the universities and courses you’re interested in
- Check their rankings and eligibility requirements on websites of the universities
- Go through the shortlisted universities and make a choice
- Apply for University or colleges you selected
Once a university shortlists you, you will be asked for a personal interview so that your proficiency in English is evaluated.
Tuition Fees and Other Costs:
If you pass the interview, you will get a letter of acceptance from the institute. The next thing will be to pay your tuition fees for the program.
Applying for Student Visa in the USA
The next step is to apply for a student visa. The USA visa rules are surely getting difficult every day. However, if you have good enough grades and academic excellence without IELTS, then it’s possible. Here are the documents you will need for your study Visa process:
- A valid passport
- Recent passport size photograph
- Confirmation page of DS-160
- Payment of application fees for SEVIS
- Letter of admission/confirmation from the University
- Proof of monetary funds
- Proof of accommodation
- Academic transcripts
- Healthcare cover
Eligibility Criteria to study without IELTS
- Here are some criteria you need to fulfil to get admission to a University in the USA:
- You should be a native of an English speaking country.
- You must have completed any kind of academic studies in the USA for at least one year.
- You can take programs like IELP that are substitutes for IELTS and TOEFL.
- You can attend summer programs to make up for the lack of English Language Proficiency Proof
- Some Universities will not ask for English proficiency tests if you have completed your secondary school education or bachelor’s degree in the English Language.