How to Apply for Scholarships in Australia? – Basic Guide
Studying in Australia is the best choice to make for a lot of reasons. It has a diversity of the international community, a lot of opportunities, innovation and the leading institute that leads you to become a professional. Millions of international students are seeking scholarships to study in countries like Australia.
Your applications are important, and you have to make them clear and transparent so that the chances of scholarship get improved. Common mistakes like spelling grammar issues should be avoided as they might result in the rejection of your application.
Before You Apply:
Read the scholarship criteria very carefully and ensure that you have submitted everything requested; make sure the application meets the deadlines as it wouldn’t be accepted otherwise.
The application should answer all the questions asked in detail, meet the word limits and should be accompanied by supporting documentation. These documents might include a personal statement, a letter of offer, a reference of English language proficiency and employment history.
Check the opening and closing dates for your country and select your country of residency from the list of countries participating. For that, you should check the participating countries list.
Keep in mind that if you’re interested in the application, you should read the Australia Awards Handbook. The handbook has information that includes general eligibility needs to be met, responsibilities and processes. Keep in mind that the department of foreign affairs and trade may revise these handbooks at any time without notice.
Know that some countries recommend applying online while others ask for hard-copy applications.
Benefits that students can get
- 10%-50% reduction in tuition fees
- 100% reduction in tuition fees
- One-off payment for financial support
- Annual stipend
- Fieldwork allowance
- Establishment allowance
- Supplementary academic support
- Contribution to living expenses
- Overseas students health cover
- Return air travel
- On arrival, a one-off establishment allowance
- Supplementary academic support
- Living expenses will be provided
- Allowance for research fieldwork
The Australian Government and top Australian Universities offer bursaries, grants and scholarships to exceptional international students to fund their studies, training and research in Australia. Some top Australian universities hosting the international students and offering them quality education are listed as follows:
- Australian catholic University
- Aviation Australia
- Bond University
- Box Hill Institute TAFE
- Bureau of Meteorology
- Canberra Institute of Technology
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Central Queensland University
- Charles Darwin University
- Curtin University of Technology
- Deakin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Griffith University
- Holmesglen Institute of TAFE
- James Cook University
- La Trobe University
- Melbourne Polytechnic
- Monash University
- Murdoch University
- RMIT University
- Southern Cross University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- TAFE SA
- Tasmanian Polytechnic
- The Australian National University
- The Gordon Institute of TAFE
- The University of Adelaide
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of New England
- The University of New South Wales
- The University of Newcastle
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
- University College London
- The University of Western Australia
- University of Canberra
- University of South Australia
- Victoria University
- Western Sydney University
- The University of Tasmania
- University of Technology Sydney
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- University of Wollongong
- William Angliss Institute of TAFE
- Students can be enrolled in the following programs
- Undergraduate Degree Program
- Master’s Degree Program
How Do International Students Get Australian Scholarships?
Eligibility criteria for international students applying for Australian scholarships can vary, so if you’re interested in obtaining a scholarship, you should ensure to check the eligibility for the scholarship program you’re interested in. Although these scholarships are awarded to students with brilliant academic records, they are also granted for community participation.
Bursaries are given to the students that are financially challenged so that the6y get help with their tuition fees. So, an international student interested in getting an international scholarship should learn about the programs offered.
How to Improve Your Chances of Getting an Australian Scholarship?
For international students, it’s challenging to get a scholarship to study in Australia. However, you can improve your chances of obtaining an Australian scholarship; these tips below will help you a lot:
- Many students go after the programs that provide high award values. Although these programs are the best, they attract the most brilliant students worldwide, so the competition is hard. So, take some time to apply for scholarships with lower award values.
- Some scholarships seem quite difficult to obtain because they have complicated eligibility criteria and selection procedure. So, these scholarships are most likely to be won because a lot of students don’t push their selves to get them.
- If you fail to win a scholarship, don’t quit and keep seeking scholarships even if you don’t get quick results. Apply to as many of them as possible.
- Joining a community can be helpful, and you don’t always need to have exceptional academic qualities to win a scholarship. The Australian scholarships are given to students for participating in the community.
- Check the eligibility criteria thoroughly before applying and read it carefully so that you can assess I you qualify for the scholarship or not. Also, apply before the closing date and submit your documents.
- If you already know about different scholarships, don’t underestimate the search engines and make sure to find more scholarships.
- Be flexible with the choice of University and explore other institutes if you’re not getting the one you’ve applied for.
- Write the best scholarship application if you are confident enough. However, you can take help from a professional so that you have more chances to win the scholarship.
- Students with good English language skills have higher chances of winning the scholarship.
- International students should ensure to abide by the terms and condition of the scholarship programs they apply for. Students that fail to do so may incur debt and become liable to pay back the whole scholarship award value to the administration.
Government-funded Australian scholarships
Australia Awards Scholarships (AAS) – Scholarships are granted to study in Australia for students of all degree levels that include bachelors, masters and PhD hailing from selected countries within the Asia-Pacific region, Middle East and Africa.
Moreover, Indonesian applicants can also apply for the Allison sudradjat Prize or the Hadi Soesastro Prize.
Destination Australia Awards – A large number of 1000 scholarships of up to AU$15,000 per student every year are available to both international and domestic students to study at all study levels at universities in Australia.
Research Training Program (RTP) – These include postgraduate-level Australian scholarships for domestic, international students to perform research.
University-specific Australian scholarships
Australian Catholic University International Student Scholarships – Scholarships for international undergraduate and postgraduate students awarded on merit
Australian National University – Various scholarships available for international students at all study levels
Adelaide Scholarships International (ASI) – Tuition fee scholarships available for master’s or PhD students enrolled at the University
Curtin University International Research Scholarships – International scholarships for students that undertake masters or PhD programs at Curtin University.
Deakin University – A search tool for finding scholarships to study at the Deakin University.
Flinders International Postgraduate Research Scholarships – Australian scholarships to study at the Flinders University in Adelaide.
La Trobe Academic Excellence Scholarships (AES) – Scholarships for international students to study at the La Trobe University in Melbourne.
Macquarie Vice Chancellor’s International Scholarships – Partial tuition fee scholarships available to exceptional international students allowed to study in Australia at Macquarie University in Sydney.
Melbourne Research Scholarships (MRS) – Scholarships for exceptional domestic and international students to undertake Master’s degree program.
Monash University International Scholarships for Excellence – These include merit-based scholarships for undergraduate and graduate international students to study in Monash University in Melbourne.
Rotatory Peace Fellowships – scholarships awarded to international undergraduate students at Rotatory’s Peace Centers
University of Sydney International Scholarships – Australian scholarships awarded to International undergraduates students studying at the University of Sydney.
University of Newcastle Postgraduate Research Scholarships (UNIPRS) –Australian scholarships for postgraduate students to study in University of Newcastle.
University of Southern Queensland (USQ) Greater China International Student Bursary – Fiver bursaries having value of AU$5,000 for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
University of Sydney International Scholarship (USydIS) – scholarships for international students studying in Master’s and PhD programs at University of Sydney.
University of Western Australia International Postgraduate Research scholarships – Research scholarships for masters and PhD students to study at University of Western Australia.
UTS International Undergraduate Full tuition Scholarship – UTS will pay the tuition fee for the approved bachelor’s degree for scholarship duration.
Victoria University International Scholarships – scholarships for International students
Other Australian scholarships
International Water Centre scholarships for International Students – Australian scholarships for international students undertaking Master’s degree in University of Queensland in Brisbane.
The Northcote Graduate Scholarship – Scholarships for UK students to undertake postgraduate degree in Australia for up to three years.
Fulbright Program – The Australian-American Fulbright Commission offers scholarships to American citizens.